Email Us!

Have a question you'd like addressed? Send it to mikehaverkamp1960@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

2015 Election Notes and Issues

With the municipal election next month I have been going door to door talking with citizens about city issues. This is always an interesting and informative process for me, and I greatly value the time I get to spend talking to so many residents.

Here are some very practical notes first, from the Johnson County Auditor: 

In person early voting, Auditor's Office, 913 S. Dubuque St. Iowa CityEarly voting available weekdays 7:45 - 5:30 through Monday, November 2.

Nov. 3 U-Heights polling station St. Andrew Church 1300 Melrose Ave. Polls open 7 AM to 8 PM

As I have been walking and talking I have highlighted the following:

 A Ballot Initiative for U-Heights Voters
The following will be on our Nov. 3rd ballots: Shall the terms of elective office of the Mayor and Council Members of the City of University Heights, Iowa be changed from two (2) to four (4) years, with the Council Members' terms being staggered?

U-Heights is the last town in the county with two year terms for council and mayor. Staggering 4 year terms will allow for greater continuity in the council as there would not be the possibility of overturning the entire council in a single election. I would urge you to vote “yes” on this measure.  

Two Important Issues that council will need to address:

One University Place
As you all know, construction began on the mixed use building has started. I will continue to work for the completion of this project with minimal disruption to neighbors, and to protect the city’s interests as the Melrose/Sunset intersection in re-aligned. The completion and planning of the community center space will be critical as well. As someone who has worked on this project for 6 years, I ask for to the opportunity to see it through to completion.
  City Finances
As a small land-locked community our budget is always a major topic of concern. My goal is to make sure our priorities are funded and we are able to control spending and stay within our projected budget limits. Since we contract most of our city services we have very few areas that we can make budget adjustments. I have the experience to make crucial decisions with our limited resources. 

An Issue where we can be a leader for the greater metro area

Bike Friendly Community
A higher percentage of U-Heights workers walk and bike to work than any other city in the U.S. We are the smallest city ever recognized by the League of American Cyclists with a Bronze Level Award in 2012. With our critical location near UIHC we need to improve commuter access through town. We can become a leader in how to involve community members and partners to improve our commuting infrastructure.

With any improvements to our infrastructure we could easily become a Silver or perhaps the first Gold level community in Iowa.

My personal request:
I have worked hard to represent all citizens in town during my three terms on council.  I would like to finish the work I’ve helped start and also lay the groundwork toward a greater future for our town. I ask for your vote so I can help accomplish these tasks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. After the moderator sees your comment it will be approved. (providing you're not a spammer)