Email Us!

Have a question you'd like addressed? Send it to mikehaverkamp1960@gmail.com

Monday, October 26, 2015

Like the Blog Says, "Moving FORWARD"

I got a phone call this afternoon while I was in my department staff meeting. It was Mitchell Schmidt, a reporter from The Gazette. I've known Mitchell since he was a student reporter at the DI. I was surprised, however, when he said he was calling to ask for my reaction to a last-minute slate of candidates that included one incumbent, one challenger, three write in council seekers and a write in for mayor.

You can read the full article here:

Candidates emerge to challenge University Heights council

I will reiterate that I want this town to move forward. No one is more cognizant of how divisive One University Place has been to our town. I continue to try to heal those wounds, and look toward better times for everyone.

However, running a last minute campaign in hopes that the electorate will skip a non controversial election, and allow a small number of residents to slip into office is not the way for our city to get back together. And for announced candidates to throw in with this tactic is extremely frustrating.

I've been going door to door for 6 weeks. I was out again tonight, and will be tomorrow too, right up to Election Day. I continue to be humbled by the response I receive and am heartened by your faith in these efforts. Thank you. 

And I challenge everyone, continue to be the town that participates, by once again turning out a majority of the electorate in a year when a hotly contested Iowa City race may not break 10%

This race could be tight and your vote will certainly make a difference.

So in case we haven't hit you with it often enough, Here are some early voting times and places:

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Fountain Lobby                              
200 Hawkins Dr.                                                                                   
Thursday, October 29 and Friday, October 30, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Iowa City Public Library
123 S. Linn St. I.C.

Thursday, October 29, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 
Friday, October 30, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday, November 1, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

And on Election Day November 3

St. Andrew's Church. 7 AM to 8 PM.
Parking is still available behind the church.
 
-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. After the moderator sees your comment it will be approved. (providing you're not a spammer)