Email Us!

Have a question you'd like addressed? Send it to mikehaverkamp1960@gmail.com

Monday, October 3, 2011

Why I'm Running- Mike

I entered the 2009 City Council race after listening to my neighbors debate the issues related to future city development. I participated in the 2006 Comprehensive Plan process, and always read council minutes online to stay abreast of the council's work. As a former elementary school teacher I frequently taught my students the importance of an informed citizenry to the workings of a strong democracy. I have learned an immense amount in my two years on council and would appreciate your support to continue.

One of the things I'm most proud of is the amount of information our citizens have access to through the municipal website. University Heights has had council minutes online since 2000. However agendas were never posted online giving people notice before the meetings. Since becoming chair of eGovernment we have posted agendas and reports, in advance of council meetings along with minutes.



A statement from councilor Stan Laverman at the June, 2009 council meeting has always stayed with me. Stan mentioned that the city had resorted at times to asking vendors to hold checks before cashing them due to lack of funds in the city treasury. That lead me to start investigating how University Heights works and why finances might be so tight. As a small, land-locked community we have few options or opportunities for growth and must carefully consider all city expenditures. Regardless of other issues facing the city, all of the council must remain focused on our budget.

Read more of what I have to say at Moving University Heights Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. After the moderator sees your comment it will be approved. (providing you're not a spammer)