Email Us!

Have a question you'd like addressed? Send it to mikehaverkamp1960@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why I'm Running- Pat

I’ve lived in University Heights for more than twenty years.  When I realized what a unique place University Heights is I wanted to do my part for the city.  My first “event” was the 60th anniversary celebration in 1995, and I’ve been a contributor since then.  I was the city clerk for six years and previously served on City Council (2006-2007), so I have fifteen years of experiences with the city and first-hand experience with city government and administration. 

I’ve always helped with the Chautauqua.  I’ve been in the garden club for a long time.  I am our city’s representative to the JCCOG Community Climate Action Task Force.  I have great interest in the history of University Heights and I designed University Height’s posters for the Johnson County Historical Society’s Communities Stories exhibit.

My interest in our city's past and present helps me envision our city’s future.

I’m running for another term because I believe our city needs a knowledgeable progressive council to make the decisions that will assure our future.  Jim, Amanda, Mike and I will work as a team to safeguard and improve our community.  I doubt there is anyone running who understands our city budget process more than I do. 

University Heights has been existence for 75 years.  My principal goal is to ensure that we can remain an independent community.  With this in mind, if elected I will advocate for the following:

  • Reviewing our current finances and planning for the next decade. 

  • Maintaining a strong and professional police presence to provide a safe place for our families to live.

  • Working to make any development at the St Andrew site both a tax-paying asset and a benefit to the city if the church should decide to move.

  • Continuing the expansion of citizen’s access to city information, especially on the University Heights web site.

I feel that we are at a turning point in this community.  As I stated earlier my main goal is to ensure that University Heights can remain a strong and independent community into the future.   The most recent analysis by the financial firm (Terry, Lockridge and Dunn) hired by the city shows that without increased revenues or drastically cutting expenses the future of the city may be in jeopardy.  We can't look to the past for answers we must look to the future.